Note: Aaron was the guest on the latest episode of the Middle East Week podcast. Below is that episode, as well as the show notes.
Aaron Stein comes back on the show to discuss Turkey’s upcoming election, their fight against ISIS, and relations with Saudi Arabia. Topics we covered include:
- An overview of the key political parties and politicians in Turkey
- Constitutional changes Erdogan and the AKP are pursuing
- Potential backlash AKP could face for pushing for a presidential system
- Kurdish politicians’ decision to run as a political party, as opposed to running as individual independent candidates
- The evolution of how Turkey views the ISIS threat
- Turkey’s strategy to fight ISIS in Syria
- Turkey’s lack of influence in Iraq, and how that effects their view of ISIS
- The rapprochement between Turkey and Saudi Arabia
- Turkey’s Role in a Shifting Syria by Aaron for the Atlantic Council’s MENASource blog
- Aaron’s podcasts: Turkey Wonk & Arms Control Wonk
- Aaron Stein (@aaronstein1) on Twitter
- Karl Morand (@KarlMorand) on Twitter
Thanks to patrons Andrew and David de Bruijn. You can support the podcast by making a small donation on Patreon!
Check out the podcast’s Facebook page.
Please rate and review the show in iTunes.