Turkish citizens are playing an active role in the Syria civil war. With as many as 1500 Turks now fighting in Iraq and Syria, numerous Turkish officials are now expressing considerable concern about returning fighters. In today’s podcast, Aaron speaks with northcaucasuscaucus, a blogger and analyst following Turkish and Azeri foreign fighters in Syria and Iraq, about the history of the Turkish foreign fighter phenomena dating back to the Afghan Jihad.
- northcaucasuscaucus blog
- The Clear Banner: Turkish Foreign Fighters and the Ogaden
- Turkish Foreign Fighters in Ogaden
- “Turkish Fighters in Syria, Online and Off”
- Mehmet Orhan, “Al‐Qaeda: Analysis of the Emergence, Radicalism, and Violence of a Jihadist Action Group in Turkey.”
- Ceylan Yenginsu, “ISIS Draws a Steady Stream of Recruits From Turkey”
Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes